NHS Threatened Cancer Patient Blogger With Writ- Daily Mail Newspaper- Exclusive News Story- ***June 2011***

This shocking story revealed how Daniel Sencier who had blogged about the poor cancer care he had received was threatened with legal action by an NHS Trust.

We sold the story for Daniel as an exclusive to the Daily Mail newspaper.

Daniel was delighted with the publicity and has since given numerous TV and radio articles aboutt the subject.

Scroll down to read the full story.

Are you interested in publicity? To sell your story to newspapers TV and magazines call our confidential hotline on (local rates) 0845 60 90 118 or fill out the story form on the right.


For more information see our Frequently Asked Questions section.

Click here on Newspaper Stories and Magazine Stories to see some more examples of some of our work.

You can also view our TOP TEN STORIES section



BULLIED BY THE NHS, CANCER PATIENT WHO COMPLAINED ABOUT HIS TREATMENT ONLINE.


A cancer patient who wrote an online diary highlighting failings in his hospital care has been threatened with legal action by a 'bullying' NHS trust.

Retired publican Daniel Sencier, 59, was so worried about delays and damaging administrative problems at his local hospital that he arranged to have surgery for his prostate cancer in another part of the country.

Following his successful operation Mr Sencier campaigned for improvements at Cumberland Infirmary in Carlisle because he wanted to help other patients. He lodged a formal complaint and an internal inquiry resulted in an eight-point 'action plan' to improve procedures.

But instead of apologising to Mr Sencier, NHS bosses have hired lawyers with orders to clamp down on his blog.

A letter sent by solicitors Ward Hadaway, acting for North Cumbria University Hospitals NHS Trust, warned him: 'The Trust will monitor the content of your blog and if it contains information that is not factually correct or which contains unsubstantiated criticism of the care you received at the Trust, the Trust will have no hesitation in considering taking legal action against you.'

Mr Sencier and his supporters were planning a demonstration outside the hospital, but legal action has been threatened over that too.

The father of five said he was appalled that health service managers would rather spend 'thousands of pounds' to pursue him than put into effect the low-cost measures to improve patient-doctor communication he has called for.

'They are trying to scare me,' he said last night. 'But I got into this to improve the level of service at the hospital and I have got to fight rather than shrink away from it.'
Mr Sencier, of Penrith, Cumbria, said his GP picked up on signs of cancer during a routine examination and referred him to the Cumberland Infirmary. A biopsy on June 18, 2010, confirmed he had prostate cancer.

Diary of delays

He needed to be transferred to a hospital in Newcastle upon Tyne for surgery but he endured delay after delay and feared the lack of treatment could cost him his life. 'I was simply forgotten,' he said. 'I was frantic and ill with worry. I thought I was dying.

'After about three months I researched on the internet and it was clear patients in other hospitals with my condition were being seen and treated pretty fast.'
Mr Sencier told a 'white lie' about having local family support to get a referral to Addenbrooke's Hospital in Cambridge.

His first appointment was on November 1 and surgery was carried out three weeks later, five months after diagnosis.

He credits Addenbrooke's with saving his life and so far the cancer has not returned.
Mr Sencier said he spoke to many other cancer patients at Carlisle who were unhappy with the hospital and was determined to pursue the matter to help them.

He said: 'The medical people at the hospital are competent but the system is at fault, nothing is joined up. There is a dangerous lack of administrative efficiency.'

Mr Sencier said he started writing his daily blog at the suggestion of his daughter and it became a 'crutch' to support him through his ordeal.

He insisted he would continue with the online campaign despite the legal threats.
A spokesman for the NHS Trust refused to comment.



Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2002329/Bullied-NHS-cancer-patient-complained-treatment-online.html#ixzz1PG9MxAAQ


Contact us today. . . to earn big money for your story!

Cash4YourStory's latest payouts: